Try deleting large messages or the ones that contain attachments. You can also move such messages to a mailbox on your Mac computer. If you wish to identify the large messages, make use of these steps:
- Step 1:At the top of your message list, choose the Sort by option.
- Step 2:You will now see a pop-up menu. From this menu, select the Size option.
- Step 3:Delete all the attachments that you have saved. To do this, go to Message -> Remove Attachments. The message will now stay in the mailbox. The Mail app will show that your attachments have been removed (manually).
- Step 4:In case you are making use of an IMAP account, you need to download the attachments because they will be completely deleted from your mail server. So, they cannot be recovered.
- Step 5:On following how to delete mail storage on Mac steps, You can try emptying your Trash mailbox. The messages that you have recently deleted can be found in your Trash mailbox. However, they would not have been removed from your mail server.
- Step 6:Therefore, you have to delete them from the Trash mailbox. To do this, go to Choose Mailbox -> Erase Deleted Items. You can do this procedure for a specific account or all accounts.
In case you are using a POP account, you can decrease the time during which your messages and attachments stay on the mail server (that is, before they are removed). Follow these instructions:
- Step 1:Select Mail and then select the Preferences option.
- Step 2:Now, click the Accounts option.
- Step 3:Choose the account and then click the Advanced option.
- Step 4:Under the Remove copy from server after retrieving a message option, you will see a pop-up menu.
- Step 5:While following how to delete mail storage on Mac guide, Make sure to select an option that is different from the already chosen one.